What is Instrumentation?
Instrumentation allows you to use advanced features while testing your apps on Sauce Labs real devices during both Live and Automated Tests These features include:
1. Image Injection - also known as camera mocking – is a Sauce Labs Real Device Cloud (RDC) core feature that simulates taking a picture through your mobile app. It then allows you to test your app's camera-based functionality and deliver the best possible user experience. For the automated test capability associated with this feature, click here.
2. Biometrics Interception - allows customers to:
a. Access test flows that are dependent on biometrics support, such as a mandatory security layer.
b. Verify that an app responds as expected to biometrics settings (e.g., enabled/disabled and successful/unsuccessful).
Biometrics test support in Sauce Labs is not intended to test actual biometrics values for authentication. For the automated test capability associated with this feature, click here.
c. Bypass Screenshot Restriction - Android only. Bypasses the Android restriction on taking screenshots for secure screens (i.e., secure text entry). For the automated test capability associated with this feature, click here.
In addition, on iOS this setting enables the re-signing of apps and is required when running tests on Sauce Labs Public iOS devices. If using a self signed cert for your iOS app, you'll need to acquire a private device with an Enterprise account and disable Instrumentation. For the automated test capability associated with turning instrumentation on and off, click here.
iOS-Specific Instrumentation Features
1. System Alerts Delay - delays system alerts, such as alerts asking for permission to access the camera, to prevent app crashes at startup. For the automated test capability associated with this feature, click here.
2. Group Folder Redirect - enables the use of the app's private app container directory instead of the shared app group container directory. For testing on the Real Device Cloud, the app gets resigned, which is why the shared directory is not accessible. For the automated test capability associated with this feature, click here.
Where can I find these settings?
You can find these settings in the Sauce Labs Live Testing UI even though the settings do apply to automated tests executed on the same app.
1. Click on "Live" in the left hand pane of your Sauce Labs Dashboard
2. Click on "Mobile App" in the dropdown of the "Live" menu
3. Hover over your app and click "Settings"
What is Instrumentation?